I suggest you ...

Add customizable meta fields to pages

Currently, you can easily add meta fields (such as Events.Contact_Name) to any of Sitefinity's modules but there's no easy way to do this for a regular page.
Similarly, it'd be great if tags, categories, and/or comments could be easily applied to pages as well as modules

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jay BuysJay Buys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Gabe SumnerAdminGabe Sumner (Admin, sitefinity) responded  · 

The API currently supports adding customizable meta fields for content and pages. We will offer the ability to do this via the interface after the BETA release.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • joel.rannebargerjoel.rannebarger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ir would be great of properties appeared in the interface that are pulled from the current template (master page). Kind of how user controls properties are automatically exposed. That way there could be configuration options for different templates.

• Jay BuysJay Buys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm currently building a site where I have 2 needs that meta fields could solve so maybe these examples will help...

I have a bunch of "product" pages in a site.. some of these, but not all, are supposed to appear in some cascading dropdown menus. I need a custom meta field checkbox that functions the same way as the "Show in Navigation" checkbox since all of theses pages should be shown in the main navigation but only a few are shown in my custom dropdown control.

For the same site, these product pages tie into an old legacy ASP app that's going to live along Sitefinity. A meta field to store the product ID (primary key to old legacy database) would be helpful in tieing each page to it's counterpart in the old system.

I'm currently solving both of these problems thanks to your awesome blog post - http://www.sitefinitywatch.com/blog/09-03-12/Hack_Adding_Properties_to_Sitefinity_Pages.aspx - (thank you for that) but a more integrated solution as opposed to a workaround could be valuable I think.

• Gabe SumnerAdminGabe Sumner (Admin, sitefinity) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would custom meta fields for pages work? Would the meta fields be inherited from their parent? I would assume inheritance could also be broken. It seems like, for a big web site, that the custom meta fields could vary wildly based on the section.

Feedback and Knowledge Base