I suggest you ...

Link to internal Pages

Many times end-users want to link from multiple parts of the navigation to one site. In 3.7 you can use (external pages) with ~/pagename.aspx.

This is of course

a) not a usable workaround for endusers (find the ~ on a mac keyboard)
b) if the page gets renamed it will break

So there must be a "link to internal page" that would work the same way as in the Editor.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marktold shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marktold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ColdCold

On my SwissGerman Layout (Win) the ~ is top right next to Backspace. I guess I was looking at the wrong place in the iMac keyboard.

LOL
        Markus

PS: It is still not very good for endusers to have to use the ~

• ColdCold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

errrr, fwiw, the tilde is in the same spot on my Mac keyboard as it is on my PC keyboard! (upper-left corner. :)

@Gabe

Sorry I was not talking about external pages. The example was only to show you how you would have to link to internal pages today in 3.7.

The idea really is that you can link to internal pages (without having to missuse the external pages like in 3.7).

It would be realy just like when you set a link to an internal page from within a radeditor in a generic control. It would link to the page ID rather then the .aspx URL.

Thats all.

Markus

Dear Gabe

I think external pages are not such an problem sice the enf users will most likely not be able to rename them. Link to internel pages is simply a must.
        Solutions is in use in the editor when you set a link. So it schould be fairly easy.
        Markus

• Steve Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

URL Rewrite and link pages to rewrites. If I have a URL rewrite for news.aspx, and /news is the rewrite. Then I can link multiple pages to the rewrite..aka../news. If I rename news.aspx to mynews.aspx, just update the rewrite.
        I really like where 4.0 is going with URL rewriting, or friendly SEO URL's, I think linking pages to rewrites would help out SEO even more. I think you would need a URL rewrite manager.

• AdminGabe Sumner (Admin, sitefinity) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think understand how we could potentially solve A (not requiring the ~ key) but I'm not sure how we might help with B. If you're linking to an external file (a file not managed by Sitefinity) how would Sitefinity know if the file was renamed? Thoughts?

Feedback and Knowledge Base